- Statement from Dr. Russell Blaylock, MD
- Dear Betty,
- My review of the first Ramazzini Study concluded that
the study was one of the best designed, comprehensive and conclusive studies
done to date on the multipotent carcinogenic potential of aspartame.
- This second study is even more conclusive, in that it
shows a dose-dependent statistically significant increase in lymphomas/
leukemia in both male and female rats exposed to aspartame. These two cancers
are the fastest growing cancers in people under age 30.
- Also, of major concern is their finding of statistically
significant increases in breast cancer in animals exposed to aspartame.
With newer studies clearly indicating that toxic exposures during fetal
development can dramatically increase the cancer risk of the offspring,
this study takes on a very important meaning to all pregnant women consuming
aspartame products. Likewise, small children are at considerable risk of
the later development of these highly fatal cancers.
- It should be appreciated that the doses used in these
study fall within the range of doses seen in everyday users of aspartame.
This study, along with the first study, should convince any reasonable
scientific mind, as well as the public at large, that this product should
be removed from the market.
- Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.
- New Study - Low Doses Of Aspartame Cause Cancer
- Environmental Health Perspectives, the Journal of the
U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences ranks first among
more than 200 environmental science and occupational health journals and
is read in 190 countries.
- At New York's Mt Sinai School of Medicine DR. MORANDO
SOFFRITTI was honored in April with the Irving J Selikoff Award for Outstanding
contributions to the identification of environmental and industrial carcinogens,
and his promotion of independent scientific research.
- The prestigious Selikoff Award is only granted for groundbreaking
cancer research. It was created 1993 by the Collegium Ramazzini, an academy
of 180internationally renowned experts in occupational and environmental
health from over 30 nations. It has been awarded just twice before being
presented to Dr. Soffritti.
- His research was conducted for 36 months using 1,800
rats. It forced the conclusion that aspartame is a multipotential carcinogen.
Cancers aspartame produced included leukemia, lymphoma, kidney, and cranial
peripheral nerves among others. Only the rats fed aspartame got malignant
brain tumors. This prodigious work was peer reviewed by 7 world experts.
- This work confirmed studies presented to the FDA 25 years
ago that documented a catalogue of brain, uterine, ovarian, testicular,
mammary, pancreatic and thyroid tumors. Based on the evidence FDA denied
approval of aspartame for 16 years from the time it was discovered. Then
Don Rumsfeld, who was the CEO of NutraSweet's parent, the G. D. Searle
Co., went to Washington to be newly elected Ronald Reagan's Secretary of
Defense. The existing FDA Commissioner was asked to resign and aspartame
was approved by Arthur Hull Hayes appointed by President Reagan. He did
this over the objections of the FDA's scientific Board of Inquiry who had
revoked the petition.
- President Reagan had written an executive order making
FDA powerless to do anything about aspartame until Hayes could get to FDA.
Now the floundering Searle became profitable. The compromised FDA had full
knowledge of aspartame's toxicity and the approval of this deadly carcinogen
sentenced millions to disability and death.
- An Atlanta Journal Constitution article dated 9/25/85
was titled "Reagan Says He Quit Using Sweeteners". It was in
l985 there were two congressional hearings over the outrage of the public
being poisoned. In this article it states: "President Reagan says
he quit using artificial sweeteners because "we don't know what is
in them,".. Unfortunately it was too late for the public as the U.S.
Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled in favor of
NutraSweet, even though it was known that the FDA had asked for the indictment
for Searle, and revoked the petition for approval.
- Soffritti's new study "Lifespan Exposure to Low
Doses of Aspartame Beginning During Prenatal Life Increases Cancer Effects
in Rats" focused on damage from low-dosage aspartame consumption over
the long term and clearly demonstrated a great danger to unborn babies
and children. Newly identified is risk of breast cancer as the aspartame
using child matures.
- Exposures were at low doses. A 20 kg (45 pounds) child
drinking 2 cans of diet soda a day brings into his body 400 mg. of aspartame.
- Food & Drink Weekly reports that soda is the most
commonly consumed beverage among children and soft drink consumption is
up 500% over the last 50 years. American consumption has skyrocketed to
over 600 12-ounce servings per person per year, and climbing. Cokes goal
is to jump sales 25% annually.
- The aim of Soffritti's new study was to identify the
cancer risk aspartame presents, starting with the mother's ingestion before
the fetus is born. The study was conducted on groups of 70-95 male and
female Sprague Dawley rats, administered aspartame with feed at concentrations
of 2000, 400, or 0 ppm from the 12th day of fetal life until natural death.
- The results of this carcinogenicity bioassay confirm
and reinforce the earlier studys demonstration of aspartame's multipotential
carcinogenicity. Further, the study demonstrates that when lifespan exposure
to aspartame begins during fetal life, its carcinogenic effects magnify.
- Dr. Philip Landrigan, Chairman of Community and Environmental
Medicine at Mt. Sinai Medical Center, says Dr. Soffrittis study on rats
strongly implies human risk. He advises parents of young children to think
very very carefully about giving drinks and other aspartame-contaminated
foods to children. He advocates federal action be taken to review regulation
of aspartame and that the chemical be submitted for precise critical investigation.
- The abstract and link to the full text to be published
on EHP online, is on the homepage of the European Ramazzini Foundation:
- Il secondo studio Ramazzini sullaspartame in stampa sul
- scientifico Environmental Health Perspectives Un secondo
studio sul dolcificante artificiale aspartame, della Fondazione Europea
Ramazzini, dal titolo LEsposizione ad Aspartame a Basse Dosi, dalla Vita
Fetale e per Tutta la Vita, Aumenta gli Effetti Cancerogeni sui Ratti,
tato accettato per essere pubblicato su Environmental Health Perspectives
(EHP). Labstract e il pdf del testo completo di EHP online, isponibile
- homepage della Fondazione Europea Ramazzini: www.ramazzini.it
- Aspartame carcinogenicity has been known for decades.
In 1985 Dr Adrian Gross, FDA toxicologist, warned Congress that aspartame
violates the Delaney Amendment which prohibits from our foods any ingredient
causing cancer in animals.
- See two letters Dr. Gross addressed to Senator Howard
Metzenbaum, and the memo that triggered a request for indictment of Searle
for fraudulent submissions: http:// www.dorway.com/gross.txt Both US Prosecutors
hired on the defense team and the
- statute of limitations expired.
- Atty. James Turner, author of the Chemical Feast and
the Nader Report on Food Protection at FDA, explains: "Since l974
FDA and the Searle Drug Company have known that aspartame causes brain
tumors in animals. In 1980 the public has known the Public
- Board of Inquiry affirmed the Searle studies showed cancer
in animals and ruled that it should not be used in the food supply. It
is past time that the FDA invoked the Delaney Clause and remove NutraSweet
from the market. In July of 2005 further studies
- (Ramazzini) underscored the cancer causing capability
of NutraSweet/ aspartame
- in animals."
- See Mr. Turner in Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World explain
- Rumsfeld's aspartame got approved after FDA said no.
- Ralph G. Walton, M.D. of Safe Harbor Behavioral Health,
- "Dr. Soffritti's two outstanding studies on the
multipotential carcinogenic effects of aspartame add significantly to the
ever- growing body of evidence on the hazards of this artificial sweetener.
The FDA's stubborn adherence to their original, and controversial, approval
of aspartame is unconscionable. The public must be informed that the approvals,
both in this country and Europe, are based on highly questionable industry-funded
research, or, in the case of recently issued statements on aspartame's
supposed safety, on a questionnaire which in no way represents legitimate
research. Independent research, such as the recent Soffritti studies invariably
demonstrates the extremely hazardous nature of this product." .safeharborbh.org
- When the Ramazzini 2005 study was released the government
and aspartame manufacturers were responsible for a coverup. They found
an old AARP survey sent to a
- million American seniors: 16 pages with 56 questions.
It asked: How high did you go in school? Had a hysterectomy? Do you eat
brownies? Oatmeal? Margarine? Question #25 asked "Over the last 12
months when you drank coffee or tea, what kind of sweetener did you regularly
add?" There were 6 multi-choice selections, one of which was: Equal
- The 10 year old 3-word item instantaneously converted
the questionnaire into the biggest aspartame study in history! It showed
no problems at all! (None were asked for!) Thru saturation news releases
this propaganda spread planetwide in major magazines and
- other media. www.wnho.net/halt_the_spin_on_bogus_studies.htm
- Dr. Soffritti's work was presented to the European Food
Safety Authority (EFSA). The EFSA risk assessment has been criticized from
the beginning because of conflicts of interest among the panel members,
particularly the chair Susan Barlow, who is an industry consultant. They
rejected Dr. Soffritti's study with the lame excuse that cancers were caused
by lung infections. Eminent Researchers and scientists know that respiratory
infection is a factor in the dying process and never took their excuse
- Ramazzinis control rats had a much lower incidence of
cancers than the aspartame-fed rats. Critics of EFSA's risk assessment
said that if the cancers were caused by inflammatory lung disease than
the control group would have had as many cancers as the rats fed aspartame.
- EFSA didn't apologize so they were reported to the Universal
Court of Justice. Then EFSA's Dr. Koeter admitted that industry pressured
them to hijack science. www.wnho.net/letter_to_efsa.htm
- Dr. H. J. Roberts, M.D., FACP, FCCP, author of several
texts on aspartame disease commented: "The elegant studies by Dr.
Morando Soffritti and his colleagues, coupled with other recent related
publications, reinforce my longstanding opinion that aspartame products
represent carcinogens -- or co-carcinogens -- for
- several major tumors in humans, especially involving
- "The details appear in my text, Aspartame Disease:
An Ignored Epidemic, and in my article, Does Aspartame Cause Human Brain
Cancer? The latter indicated that aspartame or its metabolites "might
activate one or more oncogenes that potentate or initiate cell
- mitosis, either by direct or indirect effects
- "The failure of the FDA to acknowledge and act on
the ongoing revelations over the last two decades about the hazards of
aspartame products in a number of realms, especially when taken by children
and pregnant women, remains a source of professional embarrassment.
- This chemical constitutes an imminent public health hazard.
I congratulate Dr. Soffritti for
- independently underscoring this warning."
- Neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock remarked on Dr. Soffritti's
first study: "The study released in the European Journal of oncology
by Morando Soffritti and co-workers should terrify mothers and all those
consuming aspartame sweetened products. This was a carefully done study,
which clearly demonstrated a statistically significant increase in several
types of lymphomas and leukemias in rats. Both of these malignancies have
increased significantly in this country since the widespread use of aspartame.
- "The type of damage was a duplicate of that associated
with cancers. Along with this most recent study, this means that drinking
a single diet cola sweetened with developing a lymphoma or leukemia.
- "They also found an increased incidence of malignant
brain tumors, even though it was not statistically significant. This does
not mean there is no association to brain tumors, since only the animals
exposed to aspartame developed the tumors. With children and pregnant women
drinking the largest amount of diet colas, this puts their children at
the greatest risk of developing one of these horrible diseases. Their study
found that even low doses of
- aspartame could cause these malignancies; yet, the higher
the dose, the more cancers that were seen.
- "Since aspartame can increase obesity and may even
cause the metabolic syndrome that affects 48 million Americans, there is
no reason to ever consume this product. At the least it should be immediately
banned from all schools." Dr. Blaylock is author of
- Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills about aspartame. In
order to save the children this Report For Schools is repeatedly sent to
schools and board of educations. www.wnho.net/ report_on_aspartame_and_children.htm
- Will FDA finally admit aspartame approval was illegal,
violating Delaney and also adulteration statutes? Aspartame is sold as
an additive, but it's a deadly excitoneurotoxic carcinogenic drug that
interacts with all drugs and vaccines. Aspartame brain tumor cases from
New York and New Jersey are being taken at this time.
- Just when you think the FDA can't sink lower, they do.
They issued a report the day before the release of the new study, denying
its research, without any excuse. This was about the 2005 study but releasing
this negative statement the day before the new one stands to confuse the
public, as they intend.
- After a study sponsored by Food Standards in the UK showed
additives cause behavioral problems in children, large food chains there
began the removal of aspartame from their products. But not the FDA in
the US who have known this for a quarter of a century.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-gba0GPwU From Atavistik Pictures: www.atavistik.com
- Dr. Louis Elsas, pediatric professor, genetics, testified
to Congress in l985 that it's a teratogen and can trigger birth defects
and mental retardation.
- It's time for Congress to look into the matter that the
- allowed aspartame to remain on the market for a quarter
of a century even though they know it causes cancer, and a host of neurodegenerative
diseases. The stream of whoppers continues www.wnho.net/whopper.htm just
like the millions of deaths from aspartame.
- Dr. Betty Martini, D.Hum, Founder
- Mission Possible International
- 9270 River Club Parkway
- Duluth, Georgia 30097
- 770 242-2599
- Aspartame Toxicity Center
- To contact the Ramazzini Foundation:
- Kathryn Knowles
- Director of Resource Development
- European Ramazzini Foundation