- This isn't good news.
- THIS IS EXTREMELY OMINOUS
- I've been writing for over a year now that the Joint
Chiefs have been blocking the White House's efforts to expand the war to
Iran. No matter what you might think of Gen. Pete Pace, this really is
TERRIFYING news, unless you crave a wider war in the Persian Gulf and South
- Pace has been the most visible symbol of the push-back
within the military against the Long War.
- George W. Bush, in effect, just fired the Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Peter Pace, USMC. This is unprecedented,
as it is the first time the JCS Chair has not been reappointed.
- Pace's replacement will be Chief of Naval Operations
Admiral Michael Mullen, if the Senate approves his nomination.
- The Admiral appears to be a much more convinced true-believer
than Pace. Mullen was quoted in an address earlier this month to
naval personnel: <http://starbulletin.com/...>http://starbulletin.com/...
- "The enemy now is basically evil and fundamentally
hates everything we are -- the democratic principles for which we stand
... This war is going to go on for a long time. It's a generational war."
- Read that again. Mullen says he thinks we're in
a Long War with Evil. Who does that sound like? Click the link
above and take a look at Admiral Mullen. That man, if confirmed by
the Senate, will have all of our lives in his hands. Is he the man
you want to have that responsibility? You do have a say in that -
let your Senator know what you think.
- When Pace goes, there may be a further shake-out of the
Joint Chiefs to remove the other top brass who have reportedly opposed
the Surge into Iran. I am afraid that may leave it all in the laps
- Either the Senate Democrats get their act together, block
this appointment, AND get on with the overdue job of Impeachment, or we
should be ready to start losing more American cities.
- If you liked the preventable losses of the WTC and NOLA,
you're going to love the impact of the next act of malign incompetence
of the Bush-Cheney Administration. If you liked the optional war
in Iraq, now appearing on Central Stage, global war with Iran and Shi'a
- By the way - a war with Iran still doesn't make any military
sense. Least of all for the troops on the ground in Iraq, who will
be facing an uprising by at least 60 percent of the Iraqi population, which
is Shi'a. Maybe, just maybe, Congress understands that. Our
Senators can show their understanding of this issue by denying the Admiral's
- Blocking Mullen and Impeaching Bush may be the most important
things we ever do.
- FYI: The term of the next Chair starts October 1.
- That doesn't give us much time.