- Hello Jeff - I watched a news segment last night
on China and its food exports. Again, I have to ask: WHY are we buying
food from these people?
- During the segment, they showed video of the mass of
pollution entering the waterways. Completely untreated chemical runoff
was shown coming out a pipe from a large industrial area and pouring into
a waterway used for agriculture/farm irrigation. So, this deadly brew
is going right into the vegetables and crops we import. Pollution is a
BIG problem in China...worse than anything we have in the US.
- The report went onto to show a direct admission by Chinese
that the wheat gluten was deliberately infused with melamine to bolster
protein content of the less than adequate wheat gluten. It is also in
rice and corn gluten.
- We have no way to know how many human foods contain wheat,
rice and corn gluten from China.
- We don't know what crops are shipped to us containing
heavy metals and cancer-causing pollutants from the toxic chemicals in
the irrigation water. When I go to a grocery store, I don't know what
to buy. I thought eating veggies was healthy, but now seeing how we import
them from China, I most seriously doubt their value. I am sure that most
processed foods now contain Chinese ingredients...many of them clearly
tainted and toxic.
- I think the only answer to all of this is individual
home gardens. I guess we will have to grow our own food. I know most
tomatoes we buy throughout the year in grocery stores are horrible. They
have no taste. I remember my Dad's tomatoes in our own garden. They were
so delicious I would eat them right off the vine, warm. Sometimes with
a little taste of salt added. Delicious.
- The news reports showed that many of China's farms are
small farms, many only 3 acres. So, why can't we, American citizens, grow
our own veggies in our backyards. We might have to learn how to make preserves
- Jeff, I no longer trust the food in any American supermarkets.
I find myself longing for the "old" days of the pre-1970s when
we just did not do business with China. Now we are flooded with endless
Chinese junk...including toxic crops, vegetables and so forth. Global
free trade is not what it was meant to be. We are now eating poison on
our dinner tables. I would much rather pay more for food that I KNOW is
not from China or other places that serve up poison and toxic chemicals
for added nutrition content.
- Patricia A. Doyle DVM, PhD
- Bus Admin, Tropical Agricultural Economics
- Univ of West Indies
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
- Also my new website:
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health