- "Neither radiofrequency (30kHz-300MHz) nor microwave
fields (300-3000 MHz) exist as significant components of the natural terrestrial
electromagnetic environment. In consequence, our human generation is the
first to voluntarily expose itself to artificial RF/microwave fields
- that cover a wide spectrum of frequencies and intensities.
- Typical mobile phones radiate an average power of 0.2-0.6
W. When hand-held and operated close to the head, background levels are
sharply distorted, with 40 percent of radiated phone energy absorbed in
the hand and the head ([Kuster et al., 1997]). In this mode of operation,
a mobile phone may be regarded as a quite powerful radio transmitter. Its
emission at the head surface is typically 10,000 times stronger than fields
reaching the head of a user standing within 30m of the base of a typical
mobile phone relay transponder mounted on a tower 30m above ground."
W. Ross Adey, International Encyclopedia of Neuroscience
- What is the effect of the radiation?
- While industry sponsored studies have failed to show
a clear link between cell phone usage and brain tumors (there are other
effects which have been ignored by industry studies), independent scientific
studies show that the radiation from hand held mobile phones do pose serious
health risks and can increase the incidence of brain tumors. Microwave
signals travel through human tissue, glass, metal and plastic. Human tissue
also absorbs microwave radiation. The effect of even minute levels of microwave
radiation have been shown to:
- * open the blood-brain barrier
- * heat head & brain tissue
- * disrupt brain activity
- * reverse cell membrane polarity
- * alter brain waves
- * alter brain chemistry
- * damage DNA
- The effects of the radiation can produce a wide range
of physical symptoms. Some symptoms may take years to show up. Some of
the effects can be short-term while other effects can be long-term or permanent.
Opening the blood-brain barrier allows toxins into the brain that cause
- a wide range of ailments - many of which are currently
unknown or poorly understood. Some symptoms of cell phone usage:
- * headaches
- * memory loss
- * mood swings (rage)
- * fatigue
- * loss of concentration
- * lack of coordination
- * pain in hands or arms
- * nausea
- * sleep disorders
- The Evidence
- If you use a cell phone you could be at serious risk
for delibitating and life threatening illness. Following are just a few
of the studies that document the risks associated with exposure to the
radiation from cell phones:
- Cell Tower Radiation Shown to Cause Headaches and Nausea
- Three Dutch ministries recently conducted a study that
found that the radiation from the next generation cell phone towers can
cause headaches and nausea. The study is the first of its kind and compared
the impact of radiation from base stations used for the current mobile
telephone network with that of cell towers for new third generation (3G)
networks. The study used lower a dose of radiation than cell phones. Hand
held phones emit stronger radiation when they are used, while cell towers
transmit more constant levels of radio signals, exposing everyone within
- "If the test group was exposed to third generation
base station signals there was a significant impact... They felt tingling
sensations, got headaches and felt nauseous," a spokeswoman for the
Dutch Economics Ministry said.
- Cell Phone Radiation Opens the Blood-Brain Barrier
- A study headed by Leif Salford, Department of Neurosurgery
at Lund University in Sweden and published in Environmental Health Perspectives
suggests cell phone use can damage neurons in the brain. A number of studies
have looked at potential links between cell phone use and cancer, most
finding little or no effects. This study found that exposure to electromagnetic
fields emitted by certain phones was associated with the leakage of albumin
through the blood-brain barrier and neuronal damage that increased in response
to the amount of exposure. While the study sample was small, researchers
said the combined results are "highly significant and exhibit a clear
- The Head Absorbs Radiation
- Headaches, nausea, dizziness, short-term memory problems,
fatigue, and other complaints resulting from cellular phone use are not
due to low-level heating of the brain; instead, they're apparently caused
by the head serving as an "antenna" and brain tissue as a radio
receiver, according to two Jerusalem researchers. Zvi Weinberger, a physicist
who heads the applied physics department at the Jerusalem College of Technology,
and Dr. Elihu Richter, head of the occupational medicine unit at the Hebrew
University-Hadassah Braun School of Public Health, suggested this in the
latest issue of the journal Medical Hypotheses. Mobile phones, they explained,
"broadcast specifically at frequencies at which the head serves as
an antenna and brain tissue serves as a demodulating radio receiver."
Thus, precaution must be taken in the use of cell phones, they wrote. Jeruselem
- Mobile Phone Signals Affect Brain Activity
- A study reported in the Journal of Sleep Research (Blackwell
Publishing) found that 30 minutes exposure to electromagnetic fields, as
from GSM mobile phones, caused changes to brain activity which lasted long
afterwards. Dr Peter Achermann and colleagues from the University of Zurich,
and ITIS, in Zurich, found that blood flow increased in areas of the brain
on the side nearest the phone, and that this effect lasted for over half
an hour afterwards. They also discovered that the brain?s electrical activity
(?brain waves?) was not only affected immediately after the exposure, but
that this lasted through much of the subsequent night?s sleep.
- Radiation From Cell Phones Can Make Cancer Grow Faster
- "Italian scientists have raised new health concerns
about the safety of using mobile phones, with research showing radio waves
from the handsets makes cancerous cells grow more aggressively.."
- Cell Phone Radiation Can Cause Brain Tumors
- An epidemiology study conducted by Dr. Lennart Hardell
found a higher incidence of brain tumors on the sides of heads used by
mobile-phone subscribers to make and receive calls. The study was published
in the August, 2002 issue of the European Journal of Cancer Prevention.
- The body of evidence showing the hazards of cell phones
is more than sufficient to cause alarm, yet, public health organizations
continue to stall while the cell phone industry builds more towers and
makes Billions selling more phones. Just as the tobacco industry was able
to hold back the truth regarding the health effects of smoking, the cell
phone industry has prevented the truth about cell phone safety from reaching
mass media. If you care about your health and the health of your family,
take the time to educate yourself and have the courage to act on what you
- What you can do to reduce your risk:
- * Simply don't use a cell phone or stand close to someone
who is. Humans have survived up to this point without them. We can continue
to survive without them.
- * If you must use a cell phone use it only in places
with a strong signal. This allows the phone to transmit at low power (up
to 100 times lower than its maximum value), reducing exposure accordingly.
- * Minimize the length of calls.
- * Extend the antenna and hold it away from the head.
Hold the phone away from your head whenever possible.
- * Use a hands-free kit with an external antenna and keep
the phone away from your body.
- * Do not use an earphone unless it is one made of fiber
optic cable. Studies have shown that a metal earphone wire can act as an
antenna and direct radiation into the head from the ear canal.
- For more information visit -
- The Swedish Association for the ElectroSensitive