- From Bob -
- Democratic Party talking heads are already out there
talking about how the election results are not only the best thing
since sliced bread, not only the biggest political event of the last
200 years, but also an abrupt end to everything that the neo-cons
- According to these characters Bush and the neocons were
uniquely responsible for the wars against Afghanistan and Iraq, the
erosion of civil liberties, the legal threats that they claim point
in the direction of martial law or fascism, the economic changes
that have resulted in the rich getting richer, and all else that's
not right with the world.
- Okay...then it's put up or shut up time!
- Let's see the Democrats rescind the complete Patriot
Act. No tinkering around the edges - the whole thing has got to go.
- And while they're at it, let's see them dismantle the
1996 Anti-terrorism and pro Death Penalty Act that Clinton signed.
- Let's see them restore the right to habeas corpus.
- Let's see them end the use of torture by the US military,
CIA, private armies paid for with tax dollars, and countries whose
governments are under US control.
- Let's see them declare to the world that the US will
no longer try to overthrow Castro, Chavez, Ortega or any other progressive
leader who stands up to the US government and tries to bring about
better conditions for their people.
- Let's see them reject every appointment of another war-mongerer
that Bush tries to make. Let's see them start with Bush's new Defense
Secretary. Filibuster until January and then vote it down.
- Let's see them put a litmus test on ALL nominations
to the federal courts: either you're going to strike down anti-civil
liberties laws or you don't get appointed.
- Let's see them immediately withdraw (not redeploy)
all US troops from the mideast. Moving them from Iraq to Saudi Arabia
or Jordan is simply not enough. Get them out of there.
- Let's see them end the blatant imperialism of the last
2 decades. No more US soldiers stationed anywhere outside the US.
They should be a defense force. Defense of the people of the US NOT
the defense (or offense) for every corporate executive that decides
to wave a flag while he steals and exploits from the people in other
- Let's see them tie Bush's hands with a law that
says the US will never again attack another country in a so-called
"preventive" or "pre-emptive" war.
- Let's see them cut the US military down to a size that
could only be used for defensive purposes - say a 90% cut in the
military budget to begin with.
- Let's see them end the use of eminent domain. People
should feel secure in their homes and that they won't be destroyed
by the government for private profit.
- Let's see them end the whole regimen of high stakes
testing in schools that subjects our young people to a regular racist
assault on their futures.
- Let's see them end the current abuse of the legal
system that results in the arrests of about 900,000 people a year
for marijuana with the result that the rich get their records expunged
while the poor are faced with reduced economic opportunities due
to their police records in addition to jail time.
- Let's see them end the stealing under the name
of privatization that has been accomplished by Halliburton and their
allies. But let's see them also end the stealing by the Democratic
allied corporations like the ones building the useless arena in Newark
or the shopping center next to Giants Stadium (soon to be renamed
with some corporate logo.)
- We have a chance to see if there really is a difference
between Democrats and Republicans.
- But the signs are already out there. Conyers has been
told to shut up. And he's obeyed. No more talk of impeachment said
Pelosi and she's going to be the new Speaker of the House. (Talk
of impeachment benefited the Democrats during the election campaign
by making them appear to be anti-Bush, but now reality sets in.)
- Somehow, I foresee that rather than any real pro-people
changes, we're instead going to see a lot of posturing, spin control,
excuse making and blatant lying about why they can't do any of these
things...and then they'll ask us to vote for more Democrats in 2008
to "solve" the problem.
- Thank you, Bob. Remember how we expected Republicans
to go after Clinton crimes when the House and Senate went to Republicans
in 1994? Instead we got Gingrich -- who went with Clinton on
every issue of the globalist agenda. The question is will people
shut up or get angry. Certainly the neo-liberals and "progressives"
are shutting up now that they are cut in on the action.
- Still I know that SOMEONE will read your letter.
- Dick Eastman