- Powerful, Congressional representative and Detroit Democrat
John Conyers has introduced a House resolution to create a Select Committee
with subpoena authority to investigate the misconduct of the Bush Administration.
Conyers' resolution cites "the Iraq war and ... possible impeachable
offenses; as well as resolutions proposing both President Bush and Vice-President
Cheney [that] should be censured by Congress based on the uncontroverted
evidence of their abuse of power." The report is entitled "Demand
Censure and Accountability for Misconduct by Bush and Cheney in Iraq War."
- In an email to supporters, Conyers requests signatures
for the censure resolution. A donation fetches "a copy of the published
report signed by Congressman Conyers" available on the "Iraq
Report Action Center" of Conyers' website.
- The report, according to Conyers' e-mail, highlights
"the wrongheadedness of the Bush Administration and ... the danger
of one party rule in Washington. [Also] the inability of the Republican
Congress to operate as any sort of check or balance on the Administration.
And Conyers adds, "It is important that we as a nation say "never
again" to going to war under false pretenses, and covering up official
wrongdoing. Thank you for helping me look at these problems, and please
pass on this email to friends and colleagues who may be interested in this
issue as well."
- FULL TEXT OF LETTER:
- Dear Fellow Representative,
- I am taking steps against the Bush Administration's handling
of the Iraq War and its collection of intelligence. I am going to need
you to stand with me in fighting for accountability.
- Join me to demand censure for Bush and Cheney in addition
to the creation of a Special Committee to investigate impeaching the Bush
Administration for its widespread abuses of power.
- I have sought answers from the administration to questions
arising from the Downing Street Minutes, the Valerie Plame leak, and scores
of other abominable abuses of power that pervade the activities of this
White House. 121 Members of Congress and many citizens like you have joined
me in asking these questions of the President.
- I have just completed a thorough review of this administration's
misconduct and have produced a 250-page report that provides evidence suggesting
further steps to be taken. [A copy of the report may be found at Raw Story.com
and also at CensureBush.org where additional action items may be found.]
- It is time to take bolder measures in our pursuit of
justice. This White House has responded to questions about its conduct
with misleading statements, obfuscation, and vicious attacks against their
critics. We must take the next step towards restoring accountability in
our federal government. To this end I have:
- Introduced a resolution of censure for both President
Bush and Vice-President Cheney, and;
- I am calling upon Congress to create a select committee
similar to the Ervin Committee, which investigated President Nixon's Watergate
crimes. This select committee should investigate those offenses which appear
to rise to the level of impeachment.
- This administration must be held accountable for its
misdeeds. We have considerable work to do and I am going to need your help
to make this effort successful. Join me in sending a message to the President,
the media, and the American people that we are not going to stand for an
imperial presidency any longer.
- Sincerely, John Conyers (D-MI)