- "The fear of avian flu infection is still not high
enough to make Ceamurlia villagers report that pigs also started to die.
At least seven were found dead in the villager households during the last
- The above translation of a Romanian report of swine deaths
in the same village, Ceamulia de Jos, where H5 wild bird flu was found
is cause for concern.
- The H5N1 sequences from Qinghai Lake had European swine
sequences, indicating flu in wild birds had recombined with swine sequences
in the past. The swine deaths in association with the poultry deaths is
similar to the fatal swine outbreak in Sichuan, Chua, adjacent to Qinghai
- The outbreak in China was said to be due to bacterial
infections, but the possible involvement of H5N1 was raised because of
the proximity to Qinghai Lake.
- More information on the symptoms and cause of death in
the swine would be useful.
- © 2005 Recombinomics. All rights reserved.