- Samples of Romanian bird flu have been found to contain
a potentially lethal strain of the virus, it has been confirmed.
- But more tests are needed to discover how similar it
is to the viruses found in Turkey and Asia, the Department for Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs said.
- The diseased birds were infected with the H5 virus but
tests in the UK have now established they were contaminated with deadly
- A Defra spokesman said: "The results are that it
is H5N1 but further laboratory results are required in order to confirm
the origin of the virus and the relationship of that with Turkey."
- He added: "We have been working on the assumption
that it would be H5N1 any way. It does not necessarily change our approach
to preparedness. We believe that we are prepared and we urge all poultry
farmers to keep vigilant."
- © Copyright Press Association Ltd 2005, All Rights
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging
Diseases" message board.
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
Go with God and in Good Health