- The twin towers did not fall because aircraft hit them.
Demolition explosive charges made them collapse.
- If you look at close-up video you see puffs of explosives
coming out the sides of the buildings as they topple. An advertisement
that makes this allegation has been airing in New York for months. It ends
with a voice saying: "Reopen the investigation and address the unanswered
questions of 9/11."
- If you go to the website reopen911.org you find a series
of even more startling claims.
- Did a plane actually hit the Pentagon? Photos taken on
September 11, 2001, show no cabin, no tail and no engines.
- The ads and website are the brainchild of Jimmy Walter,
who is convinced the US Government was involved in a conspiracy.
- Why would American leaders want to kill nearly 3000 of
their fellow countrymen? Mr Walter points to a September 2000 document
called Rebuilding America's Defences: Strategies, Forces and Resources
for a New Century, produced by a neo-conservative think tank, Project for
the New American Century.
- It argued for a dramatic build-up in US military spending,
but warned this transformation "is likely to be a long one, absent
some catastrophic and catalysing event - like a new Pearl Harbour".
- He is offering $US1 million ($1.36 million) to anyone
who can prove that explosives were not used in the World Trade Centre.
- Any bounty hunter might want to start with the 43 reports
of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which has produced
10,000 pages of evidence on how and why the buildings collapsed.
- It said this: "NIST found no corroborating evidence
for alternative hypotheses suggesting that the WTC towers were brought
down by controlled demolition using explosives planted prior to September
11, 2001." It adds that there is no evidence that missiles were fired
at the towers either.
- Someone seeking Mr Walter's US$1 million could also cite
the 567-page official 9/11 Commission report, which meticulously details
the movements of the 19 hijackers before September 11.
- Then again, it's that report that Mr Walter thinks covered
up the truth, so you are unlikely to get his money using that.
- Mr Walter's conspiracy theory goes further: the aircraft
were robot planes; the passengers were mainly military contractors; the
aircraft were only 10 to 25 per cent full, while all other planes that
day were booked out; the airlines blamed this on a "computer glitch".
- But what about the phone calls by passengers from the
hijacked planes? "You can't make calls from aircraft," he says.
- Dozens of websites peddle similar allegations. What sets
Mr Walter aside from other conspiracy theorists is his money. He inherited
a fortune from his father, a successful builder, and intends to spend it
on uncovering the truth, as he sees it. So far he has spent more than $US5
million - three-quarters of his net worth.
- Why is he spending his money on this? "I'm 58 years
old, I have no kids, no wife, no family."
- He is now living in Austria, where he moved after his
car was attacked. When the phone line drops out, he jokes about the CIA.
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get
you," he says.
- So is Elvis still alive? "Well, now you are going
too far. But John F. Kennedy was not killed by a lone gunman "