- "He said that quarantines have been declared in
Ceamurlia de Jos, Maliuc, Malcoci, Agighiol, Babina, Chilia, Smârdan
and Jurilovca, where bird flu cases might appear.
- "In the Ceamurlia de Jos case, we have currently
identified the bird flu antibodies, and we will isolate the virus and will
send the sample to a laboratory in Great Britain to confirm the bird flu'''',
- According to ANSVSA representatives, the number of dead
birds, including those killed by the sanitary veterinary authorities, reached
468 (hens, ducks, geese, turkey hens and swans).
- They had also collected samples from two dead wild geese
in Ialomita County.
- The main symptoms of the birds suspected are heavy breathing,
diarrhea, changes in the head and neck areas, etc."
- The finding of dead wild geese in the adjacent county
of Ialomita provides additional evidence that the deaths of the domestic
birds are due to H5N1 wild bird flu. Ialomita County is southwest of Tulcea
Country and is just northeast of Bucharest.
- Wild geese are usually not killed by H5N1, but the H5N1
found in bar headed geese at Qinhai Lake in China had the unusual property
of killing wild birds. The dead wild geese in Romania may signal similar
infections. The appearance of H5N1 in Romania would provide additional
evidence that H5N1 does not burn itself out in wild bird populations, but
is readily transmitted and transported.
- H5N1 in the wild birds would also suggest that H5N1 is
widely distributed in Europe, although only government officials in Romania
and Turkey have described bird die offs that were likely due to H5N1 wild
bird flu from Siberia.
- The announcements by these two countries, and verification
of H5N1 by Great Briton will likely lead to a number of additional reports
of H5N1 in Europe and the Middle East. The expansion of H5N1 in these
areas is expected to be rapid, and each reported country will mark a first
reported incident of H5N1.
- The dramatic expansion of geographical reach will significantly
increase the likelihood of a significant H5N1 pandemic.
- Webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org
- © 2005 Recombinomics. All rights reserved.