- "Minister Flutur confirmed yesterday evening that
3 people infected with avian influenza virus were discovered in Romanian
locality Ceamurlia de Jos. Officials took the first measure: the entire
Romania Delta is in quarantine. All the poultry in households in Romanian
Delta localities will be killed and owners will be paid damages. Already
killed poultry in refrigerators will be incinerated. One ambulance was
sent to the Delta and all the inhabitants will be vaccinated against the
- The above report describes three human H5N1 wild bird
flu cases. If confirmed, these would be the first H5N1 human cases reported
outside of southeast Asia and would be the first cases directly tied to
H5N1 wild bird flu. There have been third party reports of human cases
in China, but not have been confirmed by third parties.
- There is also a possibility that the above cases are
just a poor translation of the 3 dead ducks in Ceamurlia de Jos.
- Although H5N1 in Russia has been closely related to the
H5N1 bird flu at Qinghai Lake, there have been no reported confirmed human
cases in Russia, Kazakhstan, or Mongolia, although the pneumonia in a poultry
worker in Kazakhstan was never fully explained.
- If the human cases are H5N1 positive, the the migratory
wild birds will cause considerable concern. It is likely that the wild
bird strains are sensitive to the amantadines, so amantadine (Symmetrel)
and rimantadine (Flumadine) may be in high demand in Europe if the neuraminidase
inhibitors, Tamiflu and Relenza, are in short supply,
- Webmaster: email@example.com
- © 2005 Recombinomics. All rights reserved.