- I have just started to make the telephone calls on this
case as of December 10, 2001 and will be adding more updats as the days
progress. My first call today, December 10, 2001 was to a Brent Smith from
the Vernon, B.C. Conservation office.Below is the conversation I had about
the possible causes of this cow mutilation in Lumby, British Columbia.
- Calf Mute in Lumby, British Columbia, Canada. This took
place in 1999.
- Conversation With Conservation Officer By Way of Telephone
- I phoned a conservation officer in Vernon, British Columbia
this morning and left a message on his answering machine to request he
call me back as I was looking for any help (information) on a cattle mutilation
which took place in Lumby, British Columbia, Canada. I didn't have any
information on this case such as date, time, etc.... He phoned me back
about a half hour later and we had a informative talk.
- I asked if he had any information dealing with this calf
mute in the Lumby area. He told me he had none at all as their field is
dealing pretty much with wild animals. But he was kind enough to set me
up with the information in which I needed to contact the rancher to discuss
the calf mute. The conservation officer also told me this mutilation took
place approximately 2 years ago. The officer was kind enough to fill me
in on some of the ways in which a wild animal can do this to a dead carcass.
Below is our conversation.
- I mentioned to Brent that I had received his name from
the RCMP when investigating the Falkland "Mutilated Cow" report.
I explained who I was, and that I was trying to investigate and gather
information on the cattle mute which took place in his area.
- After filling Brent in on how I came about acquiring
his name, and a little about the case in the Falkland area I asked him
if he possibly had a case file on this mute. He said no, and then told
me that this mutilation report took place about 2 years ago and went on
to inform me that this type of report (case) was not for their department
and basically was not classed as wildlife.
- Brent's comments to me were the ranchers found a cut
up calf and did not have any ideas on what had taken place, they thought
the mutilation was done by a cougar. But from the description the ranchers
gave to the conservation officer it seemed that this was done by a knife
which didn't make any sense to the him.
- Brent asked me what was the nature of the mute down in
the Falkland area. Did it have knife cuts on the animal ? I told him that
the RCMP Constable, when he observed the dead animal, said that it looked
as if a knife or fine instrument had made all the cuts. I also told him
that in the Falkland case after an inspection of the dead animal, there
was "no" blood remaining in the animal, no blood found around
the scene whatsoever, also I was told there was a rectal core had been
taken from the animal. The udder was removed, and sexual organs were also
- After giving Brent the information as to the shape of
the dead animal he mentioned that it was not uncommon as coyotes will eat
the udder off. Not only that, it looks as if the coyotes peeled it, or
stripped it and a lot of times they will eat a hole into the back end of
the dead animal as that is where they start to feed. He also mentioned
that the damage at the back end could be done by turkey vultures as they
are known to do this as well to the cavity. Brent said he wouldn't be surprised
if that was predation.
- Brent went on again to mention that the mutilation in
Lumby had knife cuts on the animal and the organs, udder, whatever were
also taken. We then chatted about different types of ideas as to what may
cause these events, other than wild animals such as a possible cult or
someone out to cause problems for others.
- I mentioned a case from the United States which recently
happened where the organs were removed and there was no blood left in the
animal. Not to mention no trace of blood at the area where this cow was
- Brent brought up some good points on the loss of blood
for a mutilated animal. He said that a cougar will kill to the base of
an animals head. He also mentioned that with a smaller animal such as a
sheep or goat the cougar will basically eat the ears and open up the throat
and drink the blood out of the animal. He said this can be common with
- Brent also added that farmers/ranchers have phoned to
report that their sheep were cut open and left on the ground. Brent went
on to tell me that when he went out to look into this report it turned
out to be the work of a cougar. He tells me the cougars use their teeth
like snips and peel back the hide with their incisors which looks as though
this has been done with a knife. Basically they will cut a hatch into the
ribs and it appears as if a set of shears have done it. Peel the hide back
and it seems like its done with a knife and that way they get at the organs
better. A little port hole in the side and eat all the heart and lungs
and get all the good parts. !!!
- I still have to talk to the ranch owners on this matter
and get their version of the occurrence. This case is still unsolved but
investigations are still in progress. I am inclined to think it was a wild
animal but probably will go down as an unsolved case. More to come on this
- Please drop back for witnesses updates.
- Also as I try to gather the facts on such cases, I like
to add all all the ideas of what could have happened to one of these animals.
Below is a link to another page on my website which is a Fact Sheet about:
- Fact Sheet
- Preventing Wild Predator Livestock Losses.
- Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research
- Falkland, British Columbia RCMP Case Report - Mute.
- Below is the RCMP's Investigation report into the cattle
mutilation which took place in Falkland, British Columbia, Canada in September
2001. Also I have the names and phone numbers for the people involved in
this incident and will be now contacting each of them to gather more information
on this case. So stayed tuned for more to come.
- Cattle Mute Update - In December -2001 This information
from CBC Radio September 2001.
- I have been in contact with CBC Radio News and they have
provided the following information.
- The area where this took place was between, Fulton and
the Chase area in British Columbia.Some horse back riders had found the
carcass of the animal (cow) and had contacted the farmer and the RCMP were
also contacted. There was only one set of tracks leading to the animal,
these tracks were left behind by the farmer as he inspected the dead animal.
No other tracks were found around the area, leading in or out. After an
inspection of the dead animal, there was "no" blood remaining
in the animal, no blood found around the scene what so ever, also I was
told there was a rectal core was taken from the animal. The udder was removed,
and sexual organs were also missing.
- From Constable Lange of the RCMP:
- Here is a copy of the portions of our file that we are
able to release to you. It has taken a fair amount of time to conclude
this matter. Hopefully this information will prove helpful to your research.
- Thank you Cst. C.D.H. Lange - RCMP
- I have now talked to the RCMP investigating officer and
I will be faxed their full report in a week or two after they wrap up their
investigation. I will post all results from this, and my look into this
- Date Time 2001-11-27 12:52
- CST Lange phoned the Saskatchewan Research Counsel and
spoke with Eve Plante at (phone number deleted by HBCC UFO). Plante asked
about several contacts of his whether they had any statistics. His contact
on the matter with the breed association in Calgary had no records available.
His contact at the Saskatchewan Pasture Management like wise had heard
of cattle mutilations but had no statistics. Plante's contact at the University
of Saskatchewan also had several cases of cattle mutilation reported to
them however, the cases turned out to be the work of scavengers eating
their way through the soft tissue area of the body.
- Date Time 2001-12-07 16:40
- No further information to add to this file. Although
it is unknown exactly what has happened, all evidence points towards the
work of small scavenger animals.
- Time 17:10
- Concluded Constable Lange (RCMP)
- Date 2001-10-15
- Cpl. Paul Robinson from the livestock section in Kamloops
requested a copy of the cattle mutilation file. Cst. Lange sent the file,
however some pages may not have gone through. Cst. Lange notified Cpl.
Robinson and asked him to phone if he thought there was a need for the
missing pages and they would be re-faxed. Cst. Lange said he would fax
more information that would be received from the University of Saskatewan
once he found some time to conclude the file.
- Date Time 2001-10-21 15:38
- Sui CDHC Cst. Lange
- Date Time 2001-10-26 14:40
- Called Bouine Research Laboratory at Saskatchewan Research
Council #15 innovation Blding (phone number deleted by HBCC UFO). They
said that they have no research on possible cattle mutilations however
they would check several other sources of information they knew of and
get back to us by the middle of next week
- Time 14:51
- Sui CDHL Cst. Lange
- Date Time 2001-09-24 18:42
- Released to the media for fear that the media attention
would feed the situation causing those who did the mutilating the satisfaction
that the public was genuinely frightened. (Name deleted by HBCC UFO) suggested
that her parents were very frightened by the whole situation and they could
not figure out who would do such a thing.
- Time 18:46
- Cst Lange phoned (name deleted by HBCC UFO) for more
information regarding the situation in Lumby.
- Date Time 2001-09-25 06:40
- Cst. Lange did an interview with CBC Radio. Sui. Cst.
Lange asked for help with solving the mystery from the general public.
- Time 09:43
- Sui Cst Lange
- Date Time 2001-09-25 09:25
- Spoke with Cpl. Ramsay of Clinton RCMP. He explained
that he had previous dealings with the University of Saskatewan concerning
cattle mutilations. He suggested that most likely the situation was caused
by rodents. They apparently leave the impression that the hide was cut
with a knife. They chew the soft tissue and essentially saw out the utter
and other areas of soft tissue. Sui Cst Lange
- Date Time 2001-9-21 0930
- Conservation officer (name & phone number deleted
by HBCC UFO) reports that last year a cow belonging to the (Deleted by
HBCC UFO) was likewise killed. It had the tongue and sexual organs/reproductive
trac all removed and all the other meat was left behind.
- The matter was referred to either the RCMP Stock Association
or Lumby RCMP.
- Sui RCMP
- Date Time 2001-09-24 15:21
- Phoned Graham Stevens at CBC radio out of Kelowna. Arranged
for an interview at 06:40 tomorrow morning.
- Date Time 2001-09-24 18:41
- Phoned (name & phone number deleted by HBCC UFO)
re: cow mutilation that happened on her parents ranch in Quesnel some 10
years ago. She said that we should phone the veterinarian doctor (name
deleted by HBCC UFO) for more information. The cows apparently had been
mutilated in the same fashion, however the information was not available.
- Date Time 2001-09-15 11:41
- Called (name & phone number deleted by HBCC UFO)
concerning the situation, she left a note for Cst. Lange to call. No one
home and message left.
- Date Time 2001-09-19 14:19
- (name deleted by HBCC UFO) reports that on Sunday, September
09 the dogs were going crazy and her cat went missing. The direction of
the dogs attention was towards the area where the mutilated cow incident
happened. (DOB 1949-10-19) RR #1, Falkland, British Columbia.
- Date Time 2001-09-19 17:37 Cst. Lange called (name deleted
by HBCC UFO) who informs Cst. Lange that the tire tracks were made by his
son (name deleted by HBCC UFO) who had reported the incident to him before
the investigation was launched concerning this (1927-09-30) (address deleted
by HBCC UFO)
- Time 17:39 No further leads, (name deleted by HBCC UFO)
owned the dead cow. (name deleted by HBCC UFO) t
- hanked Cst. Lange for helping in the situation.
- Time 17:42
- Cst. Lange called the complainant to notify of the situation.
- Date Time 2001-09-16 10:22
- (name deleted by HBCC UFO) phoned Cst. Lange through
dispatch. Cst. Lange spoke with her. She mentioned that (name deleted by
HBCC UFO) owns the cattle and that he mentioned his son had been up to
the pasture on Thursday and had found the dead cow and mentioned that it
had already began to stink. Cst. Lange was told by (name deleted by HBCC
UFO) that (name deleted by HBCC UFO) would attend the Falkland Detachment
to speak with a member concerning the incident.
- Time 11:25 C
- st. Lange phoned (name deleted by HBCC UFO) to speak
with him concerning the incident at (phone number deleted by HBCC UFO).
Left a message on his answering machine to call back.
- Time 11:30
- Cst. Lange called (name deleted by HBCC UFO) to speak
with him. before Cst. Lange could call, (name deleted by HBCC UFO) said
that he would check on his cow. He called back at 11:30 and would speak
with his son and get his son to phone the RCMP. He mentioned that his son
was in the pasture on Thursday (which would explain the tire tracks and
footprints around the site.
- Date Time 2001-09-15 15:10
- Cst. Lange after he showed Cst. Overby and Cst. Lange
his (deleted by RCMP) he mentioned to Cst. Lange that he was quite nervous
to see police in his driveway as all the happenings in New York had him
of edge somewhat. He mentioned that he had lived at the residence for a
number of years (since - deleted by RCMP) and that his girlfriend lived
there about 5 months out of the year. (Cst. Overby mentioned this) as there
had been a file at the property a number of years ago.
- Time 15:14
- Cst. Lange and Overby departed from the scene Time
- 16:00 Cst. Lange and Cst. Overby did CPIC, PIRS and CFRO,
and Interpol checks on (deleted by RCMP).
- Date Time
- 2001-09-15 10:55
- Earlier in the day (name deleted by HBCC UFO) phoned
regarding the property renters possibly the (name deleted by HBCC UFO).
She mentioned that the past number of years. Not this year but years previous.
There are two (name deleted by HBCC UFO) one (name & phone number deleted
by HBCC UFO and the other (name & number deleted by HBCC UFO). The
last sentence on this paragraph only gives the names of the two people
in question and their addresses which I will leave out.
- Date Time 2001-09-15 14:42
- Cst. Lang and Cst. Overby to investigate with (deleted
by RCMP) the mutilated cow was located on. Investigation of the event will
be at (deleted by RCMP)
- Time 14:53
- Arrived at the scene and entered the neighbors driveway
to do neighborhood inquiries (deleted by RCMP) License markers (deleted
by RCMP) was at the residence. We walked up the driveway in behind the
police car. he ducked into the bushes and appeared to drop something. Cst.
Overby said. "hey you down there !! The man came out of the bushes
and introduced himself to us. he appeared very nervous and figgitty, he
was sweating and would not look Cst. Overby or Cst. Lang in the eyes. We
told him that we were doing neighborhood inquiries to the death of a cow
that was mutilated out behind his place. He said he knew nothing about
that. He mentioned that he had set a kokanee beer can on the edge of the
fence near the gate. He wished to take Cst. Lange and Cst. Overby's picture
?? He took a picture of Cst. Overby and Cst. Lange
- Date Time 2001-09-13 15:49
- Cst. Howard and Cst. Overby were told that a charlors/hereford
cow had been dissected by someone up on Paxton valley Road. Cst. Lange
tried to phone (name deleted by HBCC UFO) who apparently knows the exact
location of the animal. Cst. Lange went to investigate.
- Time 16:15 Cst. Lange arrived from the Falkland detachment
to the junction of Paxton Valley Road and Six Mile
- Road and met (name deleted by HBCC UFO) and (Name deleted
by HBCC UFO). Cst. Lange investigated and there was a dead cow on the locally
termed "320" acres. It appeared as though the utter and the sexual
organs of the cow had been removed. Cst. Lange took photographs and noted
footprints and tire tracks near the cow. Cst. Lange along with (name deleted
by HBCC UFO) followed the tracks out to a gate, beer cans were seized as
evidence. One Bud Weiser can on the road and one Kokanee can on the gate.
The gate hinges were wired shut and a footprint was seen going to a key
on one of the fence posts - 25m from the gate hanging on barbed wire. Cst.
Lange took photo's. No other truck tracks or prints were seen besides the
one set. A neighbor to the (deleted by RCMP) through the trees adjacent
to the land and (deleted by RCMP).
- End of RCMP Investigation report. I was told other information
was given to another unit of the RCMP for possible more investigation.
But this information is not for the public, at least at this time. Other
documents that were faxed from the RCMP are pages from the Freedom of Information
- which are rather interesting also.
- I would like to extend my many thanks to Constable Lange
of the RCMP for all his help. The RCMP at this time are placing small animals
which may have caused the damage to the animal after it died. Also more
information on this will follow soon.
- I also have three other reports of cattle mutilations
which have taken place in British Columbia, Canada. The first I will tackle
is a mute in the Lumby, British Columbia area, the second will be a cattle
mute in the Quesnel, British Columbia area and the last in the Clinton,
British Columbia area. I hope to have reports on these in the coming months.
Also I should have more information on this cattle mutilation which took
place in the Falkland, British Columbia area very soon. So please stop
by if interested in this area of investigation.
- FBI - Freedom Of Information Act
- Animal Mutilation Project 128 pages
- These records contain accounts of animal mutilations
which were discovered in various states during the late 1970's. Over the
years, several theories have been expounded to explain the mutilations,
including UFOs, satanic cults, pranksters, unknown government agencies,
or natural predators. The FBI entered the case when 15 mutilations occurred
in New Mexican Indian country. The investigation was negative with respect
to identifying the individuals responsible.
- Brian Vike, Director HBCC UFO Research
Home - Phone 250 845 2189 email:
HBCC UFO RESEARCH Newsletter At: