- China warns against unsafe, maverick research into bird
flu? This could mean a couple of things.
- 1. It could mean that China is hiding both the severity
of the bird flu going human to human and the change in bird flu sequence
and does not want sample to get out of China.
- 2. It could also mean that "someone" in China
had been experimenting with bird flu and it got out. Perhaps, they were
going to use it as a bioweapon and, as in the case of SARS, it simply got
out of the lab.
- One thing that it certainly means is that China is hiding
something about the bird flu outbreak.
- China Warns Against Unsafe 'Maverick' Bird Flu Research
- (AFP) -- Citing a recent government notice, the Beijing
News reported that China has warned maverick scientists against conducting
"unsafe" research into bird flu, ordering them to seek explicit
approval from the authorities first, and that the ministry of agriculture
must give the green light before anyone can transport microbe samples abroad,
stating, "No unit or person is allowed to dissect poultry or wild
animals that have died from disease, or to collect or transport samples
without the approval of animal health authorities at the provincial level
or above. No unit or person is allowed to collect samples and microbes
and ship them overseas without the agriculture ministry's permission."
- The story notes that the warning came a month after the
government acknowledged more than 1000 migratory birds had been found dead
from the H5N1 strain of avian flu in northwest China's Qinghai province.
- Pro-Med Mail
- China has recently demonstrated the first -- though modest
-- signs of willingness to improve transparency in relation to animal health.
Hopefully, this newswire does not herald a return to the old unfortunate
tendency towards covertness. - Mod.AS
- Patricia A. Doyle, PhD
- Please visit my "Emerging Diseases" message
board at: http://www.clickitnews.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?
- Zhan le Devlesa tai sastimasa
- Go with God and in Good Health