- Quoted in part from a Press Release Jan 6, 2005:
- "In a letter to UN High Commission for Human Rights,
Louise Arbour, Dr. Shimon Samuels expressed grave concern that the November
2004 Experts Seminar on Defamation of Religions and the Global Struggle
Against Discrimination, Antisemitism, Christianophobia and Islamophobia
in Barcelona 'degenerated' [his word] into a defense of anti-Zionism as
a legitimate movement unrelated to anti-Semitism."
- Dr. Samuels further suggested that the Rapporteur on
Racism, Mr. Doudou Diène, should "include 'anti-Zionism' among
the forms of racism listed in his report."
- True Torah Jews could find no official UN reports, press
releases or news on this Seminar or its conclusions, but if the Expert's
Seminar did in fact acknowledge that anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism are
unrelated, this would be an exciting landmark event and we applaud their
findings which echo the statements of United States Secretary of State
Colin Powell, who has recognized publicly that "anti-Zionism is not
- Anti-Zionism, which is opposition to the Zionist state,
is totally unrelated to anti-Semitism, which is opposition to the Jewish
people or "anti-Judaism". One may be opposed to the Zionist state
yet be in full support of Judaism and the Jewish people.
- True Torah Jews do not agree with Dr. Samuels suggestion
that "anti-Zionism should be considered a form of racism" to
be addressed by the UN Commission on Human Rights any more than opposition
to the Democratic party or the Republican party should be considered a
form of "racism" requiring the Commission's attention. Because
Zionism is a political position, not a religious belief, it therefore follows
that anti-Zionism is simply an opposing political position.
- Worldwide Torah-true Jewry is encouraged by this apparent
step by the UN Commission toward disassociating "Anti-Zionism"
from "Anti-Semitism" and fully supports this distinction between
- Traditional Jews, which have suffered from the erroneous
association of Zionism with Judaism over the years, welcome an official
distinction between anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism.
- Russell Waxman
- Assistant Editor
- True Torah Jews/Jews Against Zionism
- Monday, January 17, 2005