- The Iowa regression with Dr. Woodman medical amnesia
- John initially did not think that he could be regressed.
He was prepared to tell Dr Woodman that he was sorry that he had come all
this way and it did not work because he was a poor subject. However this
was not the case and he turned out to be an excellent subject. It was
not as he expected for it was rather easy that he thought. John was talking
one minute to the Doctor and in another moment found himself on the beach
feeling the sun, the breeze and the smell of the ocean. It was like he
was there and then suddenly he was crouching down behind the tree staring
at a bright light.
- Dr Woodman "You tell me that you are aware of
something coming towards you and your friend was the first to go down to
the ground and hide himself behind this tree and then you followed suite?"
- John Tosti "Yes"
- Dr. W "Tell me then what you saw when this happened."
- JT: "I see a I see a big red glowing ball. It's
down in the gully. It is not the moon - I thought it was the moon but it
is not the moon. Jim is asking me; he wants me to get down on my knees.
Jim is on one knee. The red light goes out. I see that they have lights
on their heads like coal miners. I am worried about Jim getting shot.
I'm thinking that they are hunters and they are walking straight towards
us. I am on my knees now and I am behind the tree. Jim and me are both
behind the tree.
- I look around the tree and I can see them, they are walking
straight towards us. "
- Dr. W "What was your feeling at that time, were
- JT "Yeah, I was thinking that it was hunters and
I did not want to get shot. I have got to be still and not make any noise."
- Dr W. "How far away are you as you watched them?"
- JT "Probably about 100 feet - maybe 50 feet away,
they were walking right towards us and making a lot of noise. I could hear
them walking towards us. The rustling sound of their footsteps was getting
louder. I am telling Jim not to move because I don't want Jim to get shot.
I am thinking that if they are hunters and we just lay still they won't
hear us so they won't try to shoot us." "For some reason, I am
looking around the tree again and I can see them, they are right here,
they are right on the other side of the tree where we are at. I got my
gun and I took it off safety and I am trying to put myself in between me
and Jim because I don't want nothing to happen to Jim. (The memories recounted
are traumatic to John and the fear in his voice is apparent. His voice
now sounds audibly distressed on the regression tape)
- Dr W "You're safe, very, very safevery safe, you
are in Clinton Iowa, this happened a long time ago. Take a deep breath
in .and out . tell me what happens next."
- JT "We are standing there and all I can see are
the lights. They are on their heads and shining on my face. I am raising
my gun up. I am telling them to get the hell out of here. I don't want
them to be here. This is my land and I don't .. I will tell them to leave
for trespassing. They are still standing there. And Uh ..OH it's strange
they look like I can see one of them and it looks like a fireman."
- Dr. W "Why do you say that, can you describe what
you see please?"
- JT "Yeah, he has got, uh, a hat on. It looks
like a fireman's hat."
- Dr. W "With a light on?"
- JT "With a light on. He has got a . it looks like
a long jacket on.. It looks like a fireman."
- Dr. W "Is he a big guy like you?"
- JT "Yeah, he is big, I think he is bigger than
I am. I am trying to figure out what is going on. And the other one behind
him is trying to get over to Jim. He looks like a fireman too."
- Dr. W "So you tell them to leave, from your property
and he does not leave, so then what is the next thing that happens?"
- JT "He is just standing there. He has a funny
looking smile on his face."
- Dr. W "OK, what is the next thing that happens,
very, very, safetake a deep breathe and let it out and when I touch your
hand you are going to be twice as deep and twice as safe. What happens
- JT "I can hear Jim and Jim is behind me and he
is telling them too to go away. Jim is raising up his gun and Jim says
that he is going to shoot. And they are not listening to us. They are
just standing there. They are not moving."
- Dr. W "So what happens next? Move forward in time.
Safe, very, very safe, it happened a long time ago and you really want
to know what happened. Allow your thoughts to come out."
- JT "I am just seeing black. I can't see."
- Dr. W "Move forward in time, what is the next
thing that you can see?"
- JT "I see a. it looks like I can see Jim...and
Jim is screaming. He was screaming at the.at the telling him to let him
go. 'Don't touch me!!' Jim was getting really mad. I think Jim thinks that
he is going to try to shoot us. I don't know. Jim is mad and that guy
was trying to grab him or something. I am trying to pay attention to the
guy who is right in front of me and I can hear Jim and he is telling him
to let him go andI am getting cold. I am feeling cold."
- Dr. W "That's fine just relax. You are in Clinton,
Iowa and very, very safe. What is the next thing you know, are you cold?"
- JT "I am cold."
- Dr. W. "Where are you?"
- JT "I am still beside the tree and by this fireman.
He is trying to grab a hold of my gun and I am telling him. Don't touch
my gun. He grabs my gun and he is trying to take my gun away from me.
- Dr. W. "Does he succeed in trying to do that?
- JT "No, I am trying to fight with him. I don't
want to shoot. He is trying to take my gun but I am freezing. I don't know
it was like he got my gun.
- Uh, he is trying to grab me. And I am trying to fight
him. I can't fight he is too strong, I can't get away from him. He is
trying to take me. He is trying to drag me. He has got me by my jacket.
- Dr. W. "What does he do now that he has you by
- JT "He has got me"
- Dr. W. "Is he dragging you along the ground?
OK which direction?"
- JT "Down into the gully. I am scared. I can't
- Dr. W. "OK lets let Jim fend for himself for now,
very safe, "
- JT "He is throwing me down into the gully and
I can't get away from him. I am trying to kick him but he does not feel
it. He is taking me down into the ball. I can see the ball. It is a shiny
ball. There is a hole on the side it and he is trying to shove me into
it and I don't want to go. It is cold. "
- Dr. W. "You were very scared weren't you at the
time, but you are quite safe now. Something that happened a long time
ago, relax, sleep, sleep, sleep and what is the next thing that happens
to you, are you in the hole or did you stay outside of it or?"
- JT "He shoved me into the hole. I'm in this thing
and I can see somebody and it is not a fireman."
- Dr. W "What do you see?"
- JT "It's a boy"
- Dr. W. "A boy?"
- JT "A small boy. He looks like he is about, a
little boy, about four years old, maybe five? And he is asking me something.
He is asking me what I am doing."
- Dr. W. "How is the boy dressed?"
- JT "He has got a shirt, a red shirt on and a pair
tight slacks. And I am asking him, Where am I?
- He says that I am in his room and I am asking him: What
is this place?"
- Dr. W. "Does he seem friendly?"
- JT "Certainly, but I am scared, I don't know where
I am at. "
- Dr. W. "You survived it, it happened a long time
ago. And you always will survive. OK, deeply, deeply relax. Take a deep
breath. Very good, you are twice as relaxed as you were before. Now what
is the next thing that happened to you, does he show you around or continue
talking or what happens next?"
- JT "He is; uh, standing there and just looking
at me and I am trying to find out where I am at and I am asking him and
he does not really say He says that I am in his room. I ask him if he
has seen another person in here. I am looking for my friend and he says
that my friend is still outside. So then I ask him how do I get back outside
and he said that I can't go outside and that I have to stay in there."
- Dr. W. "Sooner or later you do get back outside
again for you are sitting here right now inside my office"
- JT "He is telling me to lay down"
- Dr. W. "On what? "
- JT "On the floor"
- Dr. W. "On the floor? Do you do that?"
- JT "I don't lay down, I sit down against the wall.
And he tells me to wait here while I was sitting up against the wall."
- Dr. W. "What does the seat feel like, can you
- JT "A rock."
- Dr. W. "A rock, it is hard then. Is it rough or
- JT "Rough. He (the young boy) is walking to the
door. He opens the door, leaves, and then shuts the door. And I am by myself
and I don't know what is going on."
- Dr. W. "You are safe, relax, you are a very strong
guy and you will survive, you did survive and you know that. Very good,
very, very relaxed."
- JT "I see the doorknob move and somebody is coming
in. The little boy is standing there and he is telling me to come in."
- Dr. W. "Do you follow him?"
- JT "Yeah, and he takes me to a room and it has
a bench on the wall and there is another person in there."
- Dr. W. "Do you recognize who it is?"
- JT "No "
- Dr. W. "Is it a small guy or a big guy or?"
- JT "It's a big guy and he looks like a hunter.
He is looking at me and he has got a strange look on his face and I don't
think he knows where he is at either."
- Dr. W. "Do you sit down or what?"
- JT "No, I am standing and the little boy is holding
my hand and he walks me over to the bench where this guy is and he tells
me to sit down. He is telling me something (the hunter). He is telling
me that he does not know what is going on. He is trying to get out and
he can't figure out how to get out. He said that he has looked around to
find a way to get out and he can't get out! I am worried about Jim."
- Dr. W. "Relax, Jim was alive, too"
- JT "He tells me uh, that uh, he was hunting and
somebody shoved him in a hole in the ground. I am asking him who? And he
said that he did not know. (At this point in the regression restraints
were applied to John for protection as he was becoming agitated)
- Dr. W. "Just relax. If you want to relax then
just go to your nice warm Florida beach -you can do that. Just relax,
you are safe. OK. And if you want to go to bed you can go to bed. All
right, do you understand? Do you want to talk about it? Now what happens
next, do you sit down? Does the little boy continue to hold you hand or
- JT "No he is walking towards the door and now
he is going into the other room"
- Dr. W. "Is he still wearing his red shirt?"
- JT "Red shirt. He shuts the door and this guy
is telling me something about how he is afraid that he can't get out of
here and he wants to go home and he is asking me where this place is."
- Dr. W. "Like the blind leading the blind isn't
- JT "I don't know where I am at. "
- Dr. W. "So jump forward in time John what is the
next thing that happens?"
- JT: "He is getting up and he is trying to find
a way to get out. He is going to go to the door where the little boy is
at in the other room. The little boy is standing right there and he swings
the door open. The little boy won't let him go into the other room. He
is trying to tell the little boy something. He is trying to ask the little
boy how to get out of here. The little boy is pushing him. The little boy
is trying to shut the door. He (the hunter) is mad and he is kicking on
the shut door."
- Dr. W. "So that little boy manages to shut the
- JT "The door is shut"
- Dr. W. "That is one way to get your madness out
isn't it- to beat something?"
- JT "Yeah he is screaming at him."
- Dr. W. "What are you doing in the meanwhile? Still
sitting on the bench against the wall?"
- JT "Yeah. The little boy is coming back. He has
got something with him. He has a mask and he is trying to put it on my
face. I am trying to ask him what he is doing and he is not telling me.
He is putting the mask on my face. It is a mask and it is put over my nose
and mouth. He is smiling. He is grabbing a hold of my left hand and he
is taking me into the other room."
- Dr. W. "Are you wearing a watch John?"
- JT "No. (The other hunter) is trying to ask the
little boy where are we going. The little boy just keeps pulling me. He
is pulling me through the doorway."
- Dr. W. "Does the other guy come with you?"
- JT "He is trying to. The little boy pulls me through
the door and he is trying to shut the door. The little boy wants me to
sit down. The little boy is sitting down. He is trying to the mask is
not on right or something so he is trying to put the mask on right. It's
not working right or something. He is messing with the mask. He is telling
me that I can go away from here in a little while."
- Dr. W. So did you sit down on what, a bench or a table?"
- JT "The floor. I am asking him where am I? Why
am I here? He tells me don't worry and I am asking him where Jim is. He
says that he is still outside. The boy is doing something to my arm. He
is looking at it"
- Dr. W. "Which arm?"
- JT "My left arm. He is trying to scoot over. He
is getting next to me to look at my arm. Looking at my arm and hand. He
is getting up and he is going to the door and going into the other room."
- Dr. W. "So you are in this room sitting on the
floor and what is the next thing that happens. Is there anybody else around?"
- JT "No. I hear a noise, a sound like a.. a sound
like a real high pitched whistling sound."
- Dr. W. "What else do you see in this room. Take
a moment to look around"
- JT "It has got a railing; A rail. At one end of
it looks like a rail"
- Dr. W. "A handrail?"
- JT "Yes a handrail."
- Dr. W. "What height off of the floor?"
- JT: "Maybe about three feet."
- Dr. W. "Does it go all the way around the room?"
- JT "No, it just goes around part of the room.
- Dr. W. "Is it a circular room?"
- JT "Half of it. Half of it is circular and half
of it looks like a normal room and it's not very big. I smell something
funny, I don't know if it is the mask or what. I want to take the mask
off. I am getting ready to take the mask off. The little boy opens the
door and tells me
- Dr. W. "Not to take the mask off? Relax. What
is the next thing that happens?"
- JT "He shuts the door."
- Dr. W. "What is the color of the walls, John?"
- JT "The top half is red. The bottom half is silver."
- Dr. W. "So does the railing form a kind of boundary
between the red and silver?"
- JT "Yes. I want to get out of here. I do not
want to be here anymore. Oh, I want to get out. I am getting out. I am
looking around. The little boy comes back into the room. He sits down besides
me now on the floor and he is holding my left hand. He asks me if I want
to play a game. I am trying to ask him what kind of a game. I can't get
off my mask. He is taking my mask off. I am asking him what kind of a
game and he is saying Hide and Seek. I am asking him where I can hide.
There is nowhere to hide. He is getting up. He is taking me over to this
large gray 'spot' on the wall. He is telling me that I can hide in there.
I am telling him that I cannot hide in there because it is a spot. He
is pushing my hand into it. He is trying to tell me that I can go into
the spot. He said to go into the spot so I am trying to climb into the
- And I am in the spot and there is somebody in there with
- Dr. W. "Is somebody in there with you?"
- JT "I don't know, I can't see. I can hear him.
Somebody is grabbing my hand and somebody is pulling me. OhMy head is sticking
into the next room. I see a gray.it is a little gray guy. He is sticking
something up my nose on my left side."
- Dr. W. "Does it tickle?"
- JT "No it hurts. He stuck it quickly in and out
and it still hurts and he is pushing me back into the 'spot'. I get the
feeling that he does not want me to see him."
- Dr. W "Would you describe him for us?"
- JT "He has got a skinny body, and it looks like
his eyes are really spaced far apart. And, uh, he has got big eyes. And
his mouth it looks like a skeleton's mouth. It looks wrinkled. And he
was moving really weird."