- "The buildings should have easily withstood the
thermal stress caused by pools of burning jet fuel."
- From Kevin R. Ryan
- Site Manager of the Environmental Health Laboratories
- South Bend, Indiana
- (Company site - www.ehl.cc)
- A division of Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.
- (Company site - www.ul.com)
- To Frank Gayle
- Deputy Chief of the Metallurgy Division
- Material Science and Engineering Laboratory
- National Institute of Standards and Technology
- NIST and the World Trade Center at wtc.nist.gov
- Dr. Gayle biography wtc.nist.gov/pi/wtc_profiles.asp?lastname=gayle
- From: Kevin R Ryan/SBN/ULI
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date: 11/11/2004
- Dr. Gayle,
- Having recently reviewed your team's report of 10/19/04,
I felt the need to contact you directly.
- As I'm sure you know, the company I work for certified
the steel components used in the construction of the WTC buildings. In
requesting information from both our CEO and Fire Protection business manager
last year, I learned that they did not agree on the essential aspects of
the story, except for one thing - that the samples we certified met all
requirements. They suggested we all be patient and understand that UL was
working with your team, and that tests would continue through this year.
I'm aware of UL's attempts to help, including performing tests on models
of the floor assemblies. But the results of these tests appear to indicate
that the buildings should have easily withstood the thermal stress caused
by pools of burning jet fuel.
- There continues to be a number of "experts"
making public claims about how the WTC buildings fell. One such person,
Dr. Hyman Brown from the WTC construction crew, claims that the buildings
collapsed due to fires at 2000F melting the steel (1). He states "What
caused the building to collapse is the airplane fuel ? burning at 2,000
degrees Fahrenheit. The steel in that five-floor area melts." Additionally,
the newspaper that quotes him says "Just-released preliminary findings
from a National Institute of Standards and Technology study of the World
Trade Center collapse support Brown's theory."
- We know that the steel components were certified to ASTM
E119. The time temperature curves for this standard require the samples
to be exposed to temperatures around 2000F for several hours. And as we
all agree, the steel applied met those specifications. Additionally, I
think we can all agree that even un-fireproofed steel will not melt until
reaching red-hot temperatures of nearly 3000F (2). Why Dr. Brown would
imply that 2000F would melt the high-grade steel used in those buildings
makes no sense at all.
- The results of your recently published metallurgical
tests seem to clear things up (3), and support your team's August 2003
update as detailed by the Associated Press (4), in which you were ready
to "rule out weak steel as a contributing factor in the collapse".
The evaluation of paint deformation and spheroidization seem very straightforward,
and you noted that the samples available were adequate for the investigation.
Your comments suggest that the steel was probably exposed to temperatures
of only about 500F (250C), which is what one might expect from a thermodynamic
analysis of the situation.
- However the summary of the new NIST report seems to ignore
your findings, as it suggests that these low temperatures caused exposed
bits of the building's steel core to "soften and buckle"(5).
Additionally this summary states that the perimeter columns softened, yet
your findings make clear that "most perimeter panels (157 of 160)
saw no temperature above 250C". To soften steel for the purposes of
forging, normally temperatures need to be above 1100C (6). However, this
new summary report suggests that much lower temperatures were be able to
not only soften the steel in a matter of minutes, but lead to rapid structural
- This story just does not add up. If steel from those
buildings did soften or melt, I?m sure we can all agree that this was certainly
not due to jet fuel fires of any kind, let alone the briefly burning fires
in those towers. That fact should be of great concern to all Americans.
Alternatively, the contention that this steel did fail at temperatures
around 250C suggests that the majority of deaths on 9/11 were due to a
safety-related failure. That suggestion should be of great concern to my
- There is no question that the events of 9/11 are the
emotional driving force behind the War on Terror. And the issue of the
WTC collapse is at the crux of the story of 9/11. My feeling is that your
metallurgical tests are at the crux of the crux of the crux. Either you
can make sense of what really happened to those buildings, and communicate
this quickly, or we all face the same destruction and despair that come
from global decisions based on disinformation and "chatter".
- Thanks for your efforts to determine what happened on
that day. You may know that there are a number of other current and former
government employees that have risked a great deal to help us to know the
truth. I've copied one of these people on this message as a sign of respect
and support. I believe your work could also be a nucleus of fact around
which the truth, and thereby global peace and justice, can grow again.
Please do what you can to quickly eliminate the confusion regarding the
ability of jet fuel fires to soften or melt structural steel.
- 1. http://www.boulderweekly.com/archive/102104/coverstory.html
- 2. CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 61st edition,
- 3. http://wtc.nist.gov/media/P3MechanicalandMetAnalysisofSteel.pdf
- 4. http://www.voicesofsept11.org/archive/911ic/082703.php
- 5. http://wtc.nist.gov/media/NCSTACWTCStatusFINAL101904WEB2.pdf
- 6. http://www.forging.org/FIERF/pdf/ffaaMacSleyne.pdf
- Kevin Ryan
- Site Manager
- Environmental Health Laboratories
- [Note: The letter is followed in the e-mail by a standard
UL message footer]
- -- For more information about UL, its Marks, and its
services for EMC, quality registrations and product certifications for
global markets, please access our web sites at http://www.ul.com and http://www.ulc.ca,
or contact your local sales representative.
- November 12:
- An executive of the company that certified the steel
used in the construction of the World Trade Center has questioned the common
theory that fuel fires caused its collapse, in a letter yesterday to the
head of the government team that has spent two years studying how the trade
center was built and why it fell.
- The author of the letter, Kevin Ryan, is site manager
at Environmental Health Laboratories in South Bend, Indiana, a division
of Underwriters Laboratories, the product-compliance and testing giant.
Because UL certified the WTC steel for its ability to withstand fires,
its performance on September 11 is obviously of concern to the company.
- Ryan sent his letter to Frank Gayle, deputy chief of
the Metallurgy Division at the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST). He later forwarded it in an e-mail to David Ray Griffin, author
of the New Pearl Harbor, and Catherine Austin Fitts, who is a member of
the 911Truth.org board.
- Griffin asked for and received permission to forward
the letter for Web distribution. 911Truth.org called Ryan today to confirm
- The letter raises disturbing questions, pointing out
that the steel in the towers tested up to its certified standard (i.e.,
it should have easily withstood the fuel fires without buckling).
- A chemist by profession, Ryan said he is acting in the
hope of receiving a public response from Gayle. Given the impact of September
11 on events around the world, Ryan said, everyone needs to know the full
truth of what really happened on that day. He added that he considers Gayle
to be a good scientist and an honest person.
- A draft of the government agency's final report on the
WTC collapse is due in January.
- The New York Times reports today that the NIST team is
planning to hold some of its deliberations in secret. "The announcement
has been sharply protested by advocates for families of the 9/11 victims,
who said they were considering a lawsuit to force the agency to open the
meetings to the public," the Times writes.
- As the Times notes, the NIST investigation was started
in 2002 after lobbying by, among others, the Skyscraper Safety Campaign,
an organization created by Monica Gabrielle and Sally Regenhard, both of
whom lost family on September 11.
- Gabrielle told the Times that NIST should have "one
job, and one job only - to find out the truth of what happened to those
buildings and to report to the public about it. You don't owe industry,
the Port Authority or federal agencies anything. You owe it to the public
- the truth, no matter where it goes." (See www.nytimes.com)
- 911Truth.org (nl)
- From Andrea
- On seeing this research from UL, I am pushing for transparent*,
fully public meetings/hearings on the structure/physical evidence related
to the deterioration of the towers into their foundations -these meetings
conducted by the NIST, the gov division under the DeptCommerce, under the
Executive Branch, aka - "The White House".
- Rather than be immutable or mysterious about this research
on the (Bethlehem Steel produced) steel in the towers, I found this important
information to those who have the interest to understand the truth about
what happened at the WTC on 9/11/01.
- I owned stock in Bethlehem Steel before it was driven
into bankruptcy and liquidated. I knew it had made the i-beams and girders
for the WTC, and found it annoying when the under-informed would attempt
to convince me that we dont/didnt even make steel strong enough to support
construction like the towers, and that steel strong enough for construction
like the WTC comes/came from Japan. Au contraire! A look at the remaining
steel while at the site also speaks otherwise.
- This government is to answer to the American people.
I see no reason for secrecy when the people in the government are looking
for 'transparency' from everything else. Our privacy is under invasion
and the government wants opaque secrecy?
From Scott T Davis
- Dear Jeff,
- I want to ask all Americans - who have just read this
article which has such overwhelming statistical information exposing the
World Trade Center cover-up - to take just a minute and e-mail the article
to their Senators, Congressional Representatives and all media outlets.
- All the e-mail information we need to expose the coverup
is right on the main page of your web site.
- We as Americans are held accountable for our actions
by government everyday. It's well past time we hold the people we employ
to represent us equally as accountable.
- Scott T Davis