Second CJD Case
Suspected In Nova Scotia

The Globe and Mail
HALIFAX (CP) -- Health officials in Nova Scotia are investigating another suspected case of classical Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in a provincial hospital.
Dr. Jeff Scott, the province's chief medical officer of health, announced Saturday that a patient from the South West District Health Authority may have the fatal brain-wasting disease.
The patient underwent a gastroscopy in late March at the Yarmouth Regional Hospital. The flexible tube that was used to inspect and biopsy the esophagus and stomach lining has been quarantined, however, health authorities are contacting 33 patients who had a procedure with the same gastroscope.
Dr. Scott said there is no connection between this case and a case reported earlier this week in Halifax, in which 26 patients were treated using the same instruments used on a patient also suspected of having the classical form of CJD.
Dr. Scott also stressed that neither of the cases are a result of eating contaminated beef and urged residents not to be concerned about the food supply.
ìRemoving this instrument is strictly a precautionî said Dr. Lynn Johnston, hospital epidemiologist and infection control specialist with Capital Health.
"It's important to know that high-risk tissues were not involved in this procedure. We will continue to investigate, work with Health Canada and continue to follow their guidelines."
Dr. Scott added this most recent case will be considered in the review concerning the CJD case announced earlier this week.
© Copyright 2004 Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.



This Site Served by TheHostPros