- My name is Dave and I work at Vern's Moses Lake Meats.
- I did until the day the mad cow test results on the Sunny
Dene cow came back positive for BSE. That was Wednesday, December 24. On
Friday, December 26, the KXLY news crew was at the end of Vern's driveway,
locked out by a cable gate.
- The USDA had told the world that the mad cow had been
slaughtered here, but it was not in the food chain. A blatant lie.
- It was one of many. I walked out with the news crew at
lunch time because I can't stand a government cover-up. They asked me "was
the cow in the food chain?" I told them of course it was, it's meat.
Where else would it be? They asked me if the cow was a downer. I told them
no, it was just an old cow.
- The USDA had us taking brain stem samples from downers
and back door cripples only. Since we only had a few walkers on this trailer
full of downers, we just killed her along with them. We took a brain sample
from her head because the USDA gives up $10 per sample.
- If we would have unloaded her in the pens, we would have
never caught the BSE. How many other walkers have BSE? We will never know.
The USDA only tested the downers and cripples and only at our plant. We
had only been taking brain samples for about a month when we found this
- When the USDA said no more downers would be slaughtered,
they essentially said no more BSE testing would be done. Vern's and every
other slaughterhouse kept right on killing and selling Holstein meat from
the same area as the mad cow with no BSE testing whatsoever. This is true
and easily verifiable.
- And just so the folks in Moses Lake don't feel left out,
the beef head, tongue, liver, kidneys and tail were sold right here in
the Columbia Basin. It's way past time for everybody to stop thinking with
their bank accounts and start trying to find a way to stop the spread of
- The minute the USDA found the contaminated cow, they
stopped the brain stem collection and testing. Why? Ka-ching! It's the
- If you want to be sure you and your family are eating
safe meat, demand testing on every beef slaughter. It's quick and easy.
Don't eat another piece of meat until you see a sticker that says tested
and cleared for BSE on the package. BSE is 100% fatal --- if you or your
kids get it, you die a very painful death. It's a slow, wasting disease.
- Right now, a lot of people are telling you how safe their
beef is, but they don't know if it is or is not without testing. That's
their checkbook talking. That rendering plant in Canada wasn't feeding
81 cows, it was feeding thousands of cows. Every second that goes by, more
untested beef goes on the dinner plate. If you eat mad cow, you are going
to get sick and you are going to die.
- Stand up and demand safe meat.
- Dave Louthan worked at Vern's Moses Lake Meats.