Pizza Delivery Man Strapped
With Bomb Explodes

Fox News
ERIE, Pa. - Federal and local authorities are investigating the case of a pizza deliveryman who was killed when explosives strapped to his neck detonated after he robbed a bank.
Brian Douglas Wells (search), 46, answered a delivery call Thursday to a mysterious address in a remote area and ended up at about an hour later at a bank wearing a bomb.
As the time bomb ticked tried in vain to convince police, who were waiting for the bomb squad to arrive, that he was forced into the crime, but died when the explosives detonated.
WJET-TV of Erie (search) captured audio and video from Wells as he sat handcuffed in front of a state police cruiser. "Why is nobody trying to come get this thing off me?" he asked.
* Warning: Graphic Video
Evidence, including pieces of the bomb and the bank-robbery note, have been flown to an FBI (search) lab in Quantico, Va., for further inspection, Ken McCabe (search), an FBI agent investigating the case told Fox News Sunday.
State police are also looking into the death of a 43-year-old co-worker of Wells', Fox News has learned. The man called paramedics Sunday morning and said he wasn't feeling well but then he refused treatment. He was later found dead in his parents' home, where he lived.
Despite the unusual aspects of the incident, which McCabe said: "This looks like a good old fashioned bank robbery with a new twist on it," and that as of now it is a homicide investigation because there was a death involved and there is no evidence it was a suicide.
"We're not ruling anything out, we're investigating it hot and heavy all weekend," McCabe said adding that the FBI was working with the Erie police and Pennsylvania state police.
McCabe said the most unusual feature of the robbery was that the bomb was wrapped around the man's neck. "This is probably one of the most dangerous bombs to try to defusethe bomb squad would have to do a hand entry and use their hands and tools and try to get it off."
No one else was hurt in Thursday's explosion, which happened in front of law enforcement officers as they waited for a bomb squad (search) to arrive.
A state police spokesman confirmed Friday night that Wells had made a number of statements, including that he had been forced to rob the bank.
The tape shows Wells telling authorities someone had started a timer on his bomb under his T-shirt, and that there was little time left.
"It's going to go off," Wells said. "I'm not lying."
Erie Chief Deputy Coroner Korac Timon said Saturday the bomb appeared to have hung from Wells' neck, and that he had been told it was of a "very sophisticated construction."
FBI Special Agent Bob Rudge called the case unusual, noting that while bank robbers sometimes claim to have a bomb, few actually do.
While no one has been arrested or identified as a suspect, Rudge said the investigation was "going extremely well." Wells' death was being investigated as a homicide and investigators were looking into Wells' background.
Linda Payne, who owns the property where Wells lived, described him as a private, trustworthy person who liked music and cared for three cats. He was a friend of Payne's husband, who also had been a pizza deliveryman, she said.
"I couldn't believe that he would rob a bank. He doesn't care that much about money," Payne said. "I think somebody lured him into that place delivering a pizza, dropped a bomb on him and sent him into the bank ... He would not have decided to do that on his own."
Wells' boss and one of the owners of Mama Mia's Pizza-Ria outside Erie, who asked that his name not be published, said Saturday he took a call Thursday for a pizza delivery but didn't recognize the address given.
He put Wells on the phone to get directions. Wells left to make the delivery and never returned, the pizzeria owner said.
The address of the delivery was a rural spot along a main drag that runs south of the city, where a gravel road leads to a television transmission tower.
According to police, Wells entered the PNC Bank branch outside Erie on Thursday afternoon and producing an "extensive note" demanding money and saying he had a bomb. Rudge would not provide any details about the note.
Wells left with an undisclosed amount of money and got into his car. Police surrounded him a short time later in a nearby parking lot, pulled him out of his car and handcuffed him, authorities said.
The bomb exploded about 40 minutes after he entered the bank.
Authorities obtained a search warrant and took evidence from Wells' home, but a state police spokesman refused to say what was taken. The evidence arrived at FBI laboratories in Washington, D.C., but Rudge could not say how long testing would take.
State police forensics teams also searched near the spot of Wells' last pizza delivery. It was not known what, if anything, they found.




This Site Served by TheHostPros