- * The US defence budget is $379 billion after a recent
rise of 14 per cent. This is the biggest rise in 20 years.
- * The defence budget is larger than the combined total
of the next nine biggest defence spenders. It is responsible for about
40 per cent of the world's military spending.
- * The US has 247,000 troops and civilians posted
with a presence in more than 130 countries, covering every time zone. The
US has 13 military bases in countries around Afghanistan. It has military
presence in Uzbekistan, Takijstan, Kyrgystan and Georgia, all former Soviet
- * The Department of Defense employs 1.4 million people
on active duty. It is the largest employer in the US, with more employees
than ExxonMobil, Ford, General Motors and GE combined.
- * The Department of Defence owns 40,000 properties,
18 million acres of land.
- * The US operates a fleet of more than 15,000 aircraft,
including 20 stealth bombers in service. The navy operates more than 1,000
ocean going vessels.
- * The Defense Department buys enough fuel every day to
drive a car around the world 13,000 times.
- * The US headquarters at the Pentagon employs 23,000
workers and incorporates over 17 miles of corridors.
- * The US spends an average of $28,000 on research and
development for each member of its armed forces compared to the European
average of $7,000.