- I predicted it.
- I take no satisfaction in being right about this. I sincerely
wish I had been wrong.
- But I warned you that a laissez faire attitude by Nevada's
Clark County district attorney's office toward child-sex predators would
have broad ramifications. I cautioned that the DA's treatment of the Vinten
Hartung case would provide a license to act on child-sex fantasies.
- For those of you who missed the Hartung case, he was
a Las Vegas police vice detective charged with preying on a 15-year-old
boy and luring him into a sexual relationship with alcohol. Charges were
dropped against him because, as the DA explained, it would be discriminatory
toward homosexuals to prosecute him.
- Now the chicken hawks are coming home to roost.
- Earlier this month, a Clark County School District employee
was arrested on charges of having sexual relations with a student -- the
sixth such incident in less than two months!
- This time, a hall monitor at West Middle School is accused
of cultivating a two-year "relationship" with a 14-year-old boy.
Police say Nakia Matthews, 26, started the relationship in 1999 when the
boy was 12.
- Police did not disclose the type of sexual conduct between
the two other than to say it was "consensual." Did you catch
that? It was consensual. It was a "relationship." A 26-year-old
school hall monitor had a "consensual" sexual "relationship"
with a 12-year-old boy. How do you like that, Mom and Dad?
- "It's always disappointing to hear of these type
of cases," said Edward Goldman, the school district's assistant superintendent
for staff relations. "These are the people we entrust to protect our
- Disappointing? I would say "shocking." I would
say "disgraceful." I would say "intolerable." I would
say "criminal." "Disappointing" is not one of the vocabulary
words that would come to mind for me.
- Now get this. How was he caught?
- Las Vegas police Lt. Tom Monahan said Matthews was beaten
by outraged members of the victim's family before his arrest. The family
members then reported the incident to police.
- That's also just what I warned would inevitably occur
when the state stops enforcing the laws against preying on children. Vigilantism
is alive and well in Las Vegas, and you can bet your bottom dollar (since
it's legal in Las Vegas) that it will increase as the state turns a blind
eye to such offenses.
- Matthews is in custody on nine counts of felony statutory
sexual seduction. Monahan said Matthews met the boy in his capacity as
a hall monitor. Hall monitors are responsible for providing some security
measures at school, and also to make sure students aren't loitering.
- Goldman said termination proceedings have been initiated
- Other school district employees arrested just since February
- * Duane Johnson, 36, of Las Vegas. The teacher at Child
Haven is accused of felony lewdness with a minor student there. Child Haven
is a facility for abused and neglected youths.
- * James Fiore Gabriele, 38, of Las Vegas. The Western
High School social studies teacher was arrested in Escondido, Calif., on
Feb. 23. Police there say they caught Gabriele engaged in a sex act with
one of his students in a parked car.
- * Michael Vicious, a 30-year-old theater manager at the
Las Vegas Academy. Vicious was formally charged with 15 felony counts of
sexual conduct between certain employees of a school and a student. Vicious
is accused of having sexual intercourse with a 17-year-old girl at the
school and also repeatedly masturbating in front of her.
- * Jeremy Green, 27. The Mojave High School special education
teacher was arrested on eight felony counts of statutory sexual seduction.
He is accused of having repeated sexual contact with a 14-year-old female
student at Mojave.
- * Newell Leavitt, 48. The Burkholder Middle School teacher
was arrested in early February on allegations that he had sex with a 15-year-old
girl on school grounds.
- You can read all the gory details as reported in the
Las Vegas Review-Journal for yourself.
- --- Joseph Farah is editor and chief executive officer
of WorldNetDaily.com and writes a daily column.
Site Served by TheHostPros